Senior Character Artist
ATOMHAWK ARE LOOKING FOR A SENIOR CHARACTER ARTIST TO JOIN OUR UK TEAM. THINK YOU'VE GOT WHAT IT TAKES? READ ON!
As a senior member of our art team you’ll be creating character focused concepts across a wide range of styles and formats for high profile clients in games, film, TV and digital media.The role presents a rare chance to work in a dynamic environment full of exciting new challenges, collaborating with clients such as Warner Brothers, Microsoft, Sony and Lego.You’ll be involved in shaping projects at all stages of the production cycle, from idea generation through to polished illustration and concept work. An aptitude for creating work in line with client briefs and direction is essential. Your primary focus will be visualising characters working with both existing and original IP.
Our character briefs encompass a variety of styles, from stylised to realistic, in genres including sci-fi, real world and fantasy.
The ability to adapt to a diverse range of styles is key. You’ll produce high quality work with a strong sense of design at every stage of the process, from initial sketches and thumbnails, through to value and colour, and final polished work. As well as working with characters you’ll need to be skilled in creating complimentary elements including props, costume and basic environments.
We’re looking for someone with the enthusiasm and communication skills to make them a genuine asset to the concept team and the studio as a whole. As a senior artist you’ll be expected to mentor others and provide feedback on their work. You’ll also be experienced in leading projects and setting the style when required. We value confidence without arrogance and welcome everyone to play an active role in building an awesome culture within the studio.
We take the importance of work/life balance seriously, ensuring everyone has the opportunity to make Atomhawk a better place to work. You’ll be given the time to develop your skills through ongoing training, peer learning and attendance at industry events, as well as to get involved with the social side of Atomhawk.
Atomhawk is a world leading art and design studio. Our key goal is to provide world class design and digital art production services to leading clients across games, film and digital media.
To date we have worked on movies such as Thor II, Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers II, games including the Mortal Kombat series, Injustice 2, Killzone, Project Spark and Dead Island, plus extensive work on the Harry Potter franchise with Pottermore and Sony’s Book of Spells and Book of Potions.
We have studios in the UK and Canada, working with clients from across the world in the games and entertainment sectors.
Hierarchy and reporting lines
Reporting to the Principal Artists, supported by the Production Team
- Creating concept art, primarily for characters, to various levels of finish and time constraints
- Creating illustrations for key frames, box art and other marketing purposes
- Speed paintings of Composition, Mood
- Visual storytelling, ensuring that the image captivates the viewer’s imagination
- Character design – Creative, unique and interesting characters in a range of styles
- Anatomy - Strong understanding of human and animal forms
- Costume design – Strong understanding of form, function and materials across a wide variety of clothing types.
- Rendering images to a high level of polish, including both organic and manufactured materials.
- Fluent with Photoshop, and a high capacity to learn new tools
- Strong art background in traditional art skills
- Ability to sketch at speed and paint to a highly detailed level of finish using digital media.
- Anatomical knowledge
- Good sense of light, form, tone, palette
Skills Considered a Bonus
- Experience with 3-D software (Z-Brush, MODO, 3DSMax or Maya etc) a plus
- Environment and mechanical design knowledge
- Good knowledge of videogames and films
- Experience working within a videogame, agency or film-production environment
Education and Experience
- A portfolio that demonstrates a potential to meet industry standard level of art.
- Professional art training is desirable but not essential
In addition to having a good foundation of artistic ability, the role requires working as part of a team and so enthusiasm and good communication skills are needed. We are looking for a grounded and pragmatic team player. Confident without being arrogant, this person will want to play an active role in building an awesome culture the studio.
As well as a competitive salary we do offer a range of more traditional perks including pension, childcare vouchers and cycle-to-work. We also place a large focus on creating benefits within our working environment.
In addition to regular recognition of all staff with incentives like our ‘Wall of Awesome’ and ‘Over the Top’ awards, we also place huge priority on learning & development of our team. We have a team of world-class artists and managers and have created a structured peer learning programme which includes group Learning Lunches and 1-2-1 internal training. This is in addition to external training and development which includes attendance at top industry events.
We’re a notoriously social bunch and partake in everything from gaming and LEGO challenges over lunch, grabbing a bite to eat from the street food stalls that visit our office, epic away days and parties, through to playing with cool toys and kit bought from our team kitty.
The role would require the successful candidate to work in our Gateshead studio. We're based in the North East of England on the banks of the River Tyne. Newcastle Quayside is just a short walk from our office, with hundreds of bars, shops and restaurants to choose from. We're also close to the coast and countryside, perfect for when you want a change of pace from the buzz of the city. Transport connections are excellent, with Newcastle International Airport offering flights across the world. We're also on the East Coast main line, connecting us with London in under 3 hours, Edinburgh in less than 2 hours and York in less than 1 hour.
Do you have a LinkedIn account? Import your resume and save time!