WE’RE PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THAT WE HAVE A KEY ROLE APPOINTMENT FOR AN ART MANAGER TO JOIN THE MANAGEMENT TEAM IN OUR UK STUDIO.
The Art Manager will be responsible for management of our award-winning art and design team.
As a senior member of our team, the Art Manager will be involved in projects across a wide range of styles and formats for our high-profile clients in games, film, TV and digital media. They will have an active role in ensuring projects are delivered through well-defined and implemented creative processes. They will also help identify issues and needs, then work with the team to implement solutions.
The Art Manager will be responsible for art resourcing, including recruitment and development of team members, and also technical resources such as software and training tools.
The Art Manager must thrive in a challenging and ever-changing environment where daily deadlines are handled with confidence. They’ll be an excellent and persuasive communicator, capable of dealing with a wide variety of internal staff and external partners, including Art Directors and Producers at global entertainment companies.
Whilst this is not a hands-on art-creation role, we are looking for someone who has proven experience in the creation of high quality art and design within the entertainment industry (games, film, TV, VFX, digital). A practical art background would be advantageous.
Atomhawk is a world leading art and design studio. Our key goal is to provide world class design and digital art production services to leading clients across games, film and digital media.
To date we have worked on movies such as Thor II, Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers II, games including the Mortal Kombat series, Injustice 2, Killzone and Dead Island, plus extensive work on the Harry Potter franchise with Pottermore and Sony’s Book of Spells and Book of Potions.
We have offices in the UK and Canada, working with clients from across the world in the games and entertainment sectors. The Art Manager role will be full-time and will be based in Gateshead, UK.
Reports to the Head of Operations. Line management of the Principal Artists and art team.
- Day to day line management of the art team, including regular one-to-ones, appraisals, development plans and pastoral care
- Manages artist recruitment, including full-time hires and subcontractors
- Works with Production and Principal Artists to establish creative needs for each project, including process and resource
- Works alongside the Production team to ensure project milestones are met, including active involvement in scheduling and resource allocation
- Finding solutions to creative and delivery issues, discussing solutions from a friendly but authoritative standpoint
- Works with the Principal Artists in guiding the art team to implement feedback and follow direction
- Part of a team responsible for quality control and consistency of art and design produced by the studio
- Works with the Production team and Principal Artists to write and deliver quotes and proposals
- Management of art software licenses (e.g. Adobe suite, 3D software)
- Owner of art-related training, including sourcing materials and courses
- Contributes to PR opportunities and events when required
- This candidate must come from a creative background and ideally have experience of leading the artwork creation process in the entertainment industry (games, film, TV, VFX, digital).
- A creative at heart, the candidate must have a proven track record of being a strong manager and people person
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Astute problem solver
- Able to define and improve processes when required
- A discerning eye for high quality art and design, with excellent attention to detail
- Self-motivator, able to work under their own initiative
- Must be patient and polite but also able to judge moments where push-back is needed
- Art background from within the entertainment industry (games, film, TV, VFX)
- Knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects and 3D visualisation packages (e.g. MODO, Z-Brush, Maya, 3DS Max, KeyShot) (Note: The role does not require hands-on art production, but the ability to edit and manage artwork files would be desirable)
- Technical knowledge of game art production, including user interface design
Education and Experience:
- Multiple successful projects in art leadership / management positions (minimum 5 years experience)
- General understanding of game-specific art development process
- Experience of working in a rapidly changing agency-style environment
- Comfortable with all degrees of ownership, from providing reference and brief-writing through to providing high-level feedback on art and design.
As well as creative and managerial experience, we’re looking for someone who is enthusiastic and excited to be part of our team. We value confidence without ego, and our whole team plays an active role in building an awesome culture within the studio.
As well as a competitive salary we do offer a range of more traditional perks including pension, childcare vouchers and cycle-to-work. We also place a large focus on creating benefits within our working environment.
In addition to regular recognition of all staff with incentives like our ‘Wall of Awesome’ and ‘Over the Top’ awards, we also place huge priority on learning & development of our team. We have a team of world-class artists and managers and have created a structured peer learning programme which includes group Learning Lunches and 1-2-1 internal training. This is in addition to external training and development which includes attendance at top industry events.
We’re a notoriously social bunch and partake in everything from gaming and LEGO challenges over lunch, grabbing a bite to eat from the street food stalls that visit our office, epic away days and parties, through to playing with cool toys and kit bought from our team kitty.
The role would require the successful candidate to work in our Gateshead studio. We're based in the North East of England on the banks of the River Tyne. Newcastle Quayside is just a short walk from our office, with hundreds of bars, shops and restaurants to choose from. We're also close to the coast and countryside, perfect for when you want a change of pace from the buzz of the city. Transport connections are excellent, with Newcastle International Airport offering flights across the world. We're also on the East Coast main line, connecting us with London in under 3 hours, Edinburgh in less than 2 hours and York in less than 1 hour.