ATOMHAWK ARE LOOKING FOR A TALENTED AND EXPERIENCED CONCEPT ARTIST TO JOIN OUR UK TEAM. THINK YOU'VE GOT WHAT IT TAKES? READ ON!
As a member of our concept art team you’ll be creating concepts across a wide range of styles and formats for our high profile clients in games, film, TV and digital media.
You’ll be involved in shaping projects at all stages of the production cycle, from concept/idea generation, fast sketching and storyboards through to colour/light studies and polished illustration work. An aptitude for creating work in line with client briefs and direction is essential, as is the ability to adapt to a diverse range of styles.
You can expect to be visualising characters, props, environments and vehicles across multiple genres including realistic, fantasy, sci-fi and stylised.
As well as artistic ability, we’re looking for someone with the enthusiasm and communication skills to make them a genuine asset to the concept team and the studio as a whole. We value confidence without arrogance and welcome everyone to play an active role in building an awesome culture within the studio.
The role presents a rare chance to work in a dynamic environment full of exciting new challenges, collaborating with clients such as Warner Brothers, Microsoft, Sony and Lego.
We take the importance of work/life balance seriously, ensuring everyone has the opportunity to make Atomhawk a better place to work. You’ll be given the time to develop your skills through ongoing training, peer learning and attendance at industry events, as well as to get involved with the social side of Atomhawk.
Atomhawk is a world leading art and design studio. Our key goal is to provide world class design and digital art production services to leading clients across games, film and digital media.
To date we have worked on movies such as Thor II, Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers II, games including the Mortal Kombat series, Injustice 2, Killzone, Project Spark and Dead Island, plus extensive work on the Harry Potter franchise with Pottermore and Sony’s Book of Spells and Book of Potions.
We have studios in the UK and Canada, working with clients from across the world in the games and entertainment sectors.
Hierarchy and reporting lines
Reporting to the Art Manager and Principal Artists, supported by the Production Team
- Creating concept art for characters, environments, objects to various levels of finish and time constraints
- Creating illustrations for key frames, box art and other marketing purposes
- Speed paintings of Composition, Mood
- Visual storytelling, ensuring that the image captivates the viewer’s imagination
- Character design – Creative, unique and interesting characters in a range of styles
- Environment design - Ability to create inspirational environments in an array of styles, always with close attention to composition, lighting and perspective
- Architecture – Strong understanding of the layout and special proportions a range of buildings, both realistic and imaginary. A good knowledge of architectural styles would be advantageous
- Mechanical design – Knowledge of industrial design principals and their application to fictional vehicles, machines, weapons etc
- Fluent with Photoshop, and a high capacity to learn new tools
- Strong art background in traditional art skills
- Anatomical knowledge
- Architectural knowledge
- Mechanical design knowledge
- Good sense of light, form, tone, palette
- Must be able to paint/sketch at speed
Skills Considered a Bonus
- Experience with 3-D software (Z-Brush, MODO, 3DSMax or Maya etc) a plus
- Good knowledge of videogames and films
- Experience working withing a videogame, agency or film-production environment
Education and Experience
- A portfolio that demonstrates a potential to meet industry standard level of art.
- Professional art training is desirable but not essential
In addition to having a good foundation of artistic ability, the role requires working as part of a team and so enthusiasm and good communication skills are needed. We are looking for a grounded and pragmatic team player. Confident without being arrogant, this person will want to play an active role in building an awesome culture within this new studio.
As well as a competitive salary we do offer a range of more traditional perks including pension, childcare vouchers and cycle-to-work. We also place a large focus on creating benefits within our working environment.
In addition to regular recognition of all staff with incentives like our ‘Wall of Awesome’ and ‘Over the Top’ awards, we also place huge priority on learning & development of our team. We have a team of world-class artists and managers and have created a structured peer learning programme which includes group Learning Lunches and 1-2-1 internal training. This is in addition to external training and development which includes attendance at top industry events.
We’re a notoriously social bunch and partake in everything from gaming and LEGO challenges over lunch, grabbing a bite to eat from the street food stalls that visit our office, epic away days and parties, through to playing with cool toys and kit bought from our team kitty.
The role would require the successful candidate to work in our Gateshead studio. We're based in the North East of England on the banks of the River Tyne. Newcastle Quayside is just a short walk from our office, with hundreds of bars, shops and restaurants to choose from. We're also close to the coast and countryside, perfect for when you want a change of pace from the buzz of the city. Transport connections are excellent, with Newcastle International Airport offering flights across the world. We're also on the East Coast main line, connecting us with London in under 3 hours, Edinburgh in less than 2 hours and York in less than 1 hour.