Senior Character Artist
ATOMHAWK ARE LOOKING FOR A TALENTED AND EXPERIENCED CONCEPT ARTIST WITH A FLAIR FOR CHARACTER DESIGN WHO THRIVES ON NEW CREATIVE CHALLENGES.
Atomhawk is a leading art and design studio. Our key goal is to provide world class design and digital art production services to AAA clients across games, film and digital media.
We’ve worked on movies such as Thor II, Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers II, games including the Mortal Kombat series, Injustice 2, Killzone and Dead Island, plus extensive work on the Harry Potter franchise with Pottermore and Sony’s Book of Spells and Book of Potions.
We have an opening for an artist to join our team who is confident designing characters across multiple genres, with a focus on realistic, fantasy, and sci-fi.
As a senior member of our art team you’ll be creating concepts across a wide range of styles and formats for our high-profile clients in games, film, TV and digital media.
You’ll be involved in shaping projects at all stages of the production cycle, from concept/idea generation, fast sketching and storyboards through to colour/light studies and polished illustration work. An aptitude for creating work in line with client briefs and direction is essential, as is the ability to adapt to a diverse range of styles.
The role presents a rare chance to work in a dynamic environment full of exciting new challenges, collaborating with clients such as Warner Brothers, Microsoft, Sony and Lego. It also provides the chance to work with world class, established franchises as well as shaping brand new ones.
For this particular Senior role we are looking for an experienced staff member that consistently delivers high quality work that meets and often exceeds client expectations in all areas. The successful candidate will be able to work quickly and will be consistently able to deliver innovative/high quality ideas and polished final art/designs. They will be able to interpret briefs on their own and also mentor and guide others. They would be actively involved in staff training and development and show leadership by example.
As well as artistic ability, we’re looking for someone who is passionate, enthusiastic and excited to be part of our team. We value confidence without ego, and our whole team plays an active role in building an awesome culture within the studio.
We take the importance of work/life balance seriously. We have a ‘no-crunch’ culture, with rare, but fully paid, overtime. Our inclusive, team-focused environment provides the opportunity for everyone to work together to make Atomhawk an even better place to be.
We will support you to develop your skills through ongoing training, peer learning and attendance at industry events; recognise your hard work on our Wall of Awesome and monthly awards; and introduce you to the social side of Atomhawk, from lunchtime gaming to the legendary summer and Christmas parties.
- Creating concept art, primarily for characters, to various levels of finish and time constraints
- Creating illustrations for key frames, box art and other marketing purposes
- Speed paintings of Composition, Mood
- Visual storytelling, ensuring that the image captivates the viewer’s imagination
- Character design – Creative, unique and interesting characters in a range of styles. Proven experience designing a wide array of human and non-human forms.
- Technical design – Knowledge of relevant design principals and their application to fashion, clothing, weaponry and other character-based accessories
- Fluent with Photoshop and a high capacity to learn new tools
- Strong art background in traditional art skills
- Excellent understanding of anatomy and form
- Technical design knowledge relating to fashion, clothing and accessories
- Good sense of light, form, tone, palette
- Must be able to paint/sketch at speed
- Experience working in teams and providing feedback to other artists
- Confident presenting work and ideas to team-members and clients
Skills Considered a Bonus
- Environment design experience
- Experience with 3-D software (Z-Brush, MODO, 3DSMax or Maya etc) a plus
- An enthusiastic knowledge of videogames and films
- Experience working within a videogame, agency or film-production environment
- Experience working with established franchises and characters
In addition to the opportunity to work in a dynamic environment full of exciting new challenges, collaborating with clients such as Warner Brothers, Microsoft, Sony and Lego, we believe the Atomhawk culture is our biggest benefit.
We do offer a range of more traditional perks including pension, childcare vouchers and cycle-to-work, but we place a large focus on creating benefits within our working environment.
In addition to regular recognition of all staff with incentives like our ‘Wall of Awesome’, we also place huge priority on learning & development of our team. We have some of the best concept artists in the world and have created a structured peer learning programme which includes group Learning Lunches and 1-2-1 internal training. This is in addition to external training and development which includes attendance at top industry events.
We’re a notoriously social bunch and partake in everything from gaming and LEGO challenges over lunch, grabbing a bite to eat from the street food stalls that visit our office, epic away days and parties, through to playing with cool toys and kit bought from our team kitty.
The role would require the successful candidate to work in our Gateshead studio. We're based in the North East of England on the banks of the River Tyne. Newcastle Quayside is just a short walk from our office, with hundreds of bars, shops and restaurants to choose from. We're also close to the coast and countryside, perfect for when you want a change of pace from the buzz of the city. Transport connections are excellent, with Newcastle International Airport offering flights across the world. We're also on the East Coast main line, connecting us with London in under 3 hours, Edinburgh in less than 2 hours and York in less than 1 hour. More information can be found here - http://atomhawk.com/people