Senior Concept Artist
ATOMHAWK ARE LOOKING FOR A SENIOR ARTIST TO JOIN OUR VANCOUVER TEAM. THINK YOU'VE GOT WHAT IT TAKES? READ ON!
We're looking for an experienced staff member that consistently delivers high quality work that exceeds client expectations. The successful candidate will be able to work quickly and consistently be able to deliver innovative/high quality ideas and polished final art/designs. They'll be able to interpret briefs on their own and also mentor and guide others. They will be actively involved in staff training and development and show leadership by example. The role presents a rare chance to work in a dynamic environment full of exciting new challenges, collaborating with clients such as Warner Brothers, Microsoft, Sony and Lego.
The ability to adapt to a diverse range of styles is key. You’ll produce high quality work with a strong sense of design at every stage of the process, from initial sketches and thumbnails, through to value and colour, and final polished work. An aptitude for creating work in line with client briefs and direction is essential. Your primary focus will be visualising concepts in genres including sci-fi, real world and fantasy, with providing guidance to the wider team as a secondary (but important) objective.
We’re looking for someone with the enthusiasm and communication skills to make them a genuine asset to the concept team and the studio as a whole. As a Senior artist you’ll be expected to mentor others and provide feedback on their work. You’ll also be experienced in leading projects and setting the style when required. We value confidence without arrogance and welcome everyone to play an active role in building an awesome culture within the studio.
We take the importance of work/life balance seriously, ensuring everyone has the opportunity to make Atomhawk a better place to work. You’ll be given the time to develop your skills through ongoing training, peer learning and attendance at industry events, as well as to get involved with the social side of Atomhawk.
Hierarchy and reporting lines
Reporting to the Creative Director, supported by Studio Director.
- Creating concept art for characters, environments and objects to various levels of finish and time constraints
- Creating illustrations for key frames, box art and other marketing purposes
- Speed paintings of Composition, Mood
- Visual storytelling, ensuring that the image captivates the viewer’s imagination
- Environment design - Ability to create inspirational environments in an array of styles, always with close attention to composition, lighting and perspective
- Architecture – Strong understanding of the layout and special proportions a range of buildings, both realistic and imaginary. A good knowledge of architectural styles would be advantageous
- Mechanical design – Knowledge of industrial design principals and their application to fictional vehicles, machines, weapons etc
- Character design – Creative, unique and interesting characters in a range of styles
- Ability to provide clear and constructive written and verbal feedback to other members of the art team
- Proven experience of delivering high quality projects with minimal supervision from management staff
- Fluent with Photoshop, and a high capacity to learn new tools
- Strong art background in traditional art skills
- Anatomical knowledge
- Architectural knowledge
- Mechanical design knowledge
- Good sense of light, form, tone, palette
- Must be able to paint/sketch at speed
Skills Considered a Bonus
- Experience with 3-D software (Z-Brush, MODO, Maya etc) a plus
- Good knowledge of videogames and films
- Experience working withing a videogame, agency or film-production environment
Education and Experience
- A portfolio that demonstrates the ability to meet industry standard level of art
- Experience of dealing directly with clients, including Art Directors and Producers
- Professional art training is desirable but not essential
In addition to having an excellent foundation of artistic ability, the role requires working as part of a team and so enthusiasm and good communication skills are needed. We are looking for a grounded and pragmatic team player. Confident without being arrogant, this person will want to play an active role in building an awesome culture within the studio.
Atomhawk offer a number of schemes to full time members of the Vancouver team, including:
- 21 days paid holiday per year
- Extended Healthcare
- 'No-crunch' policy, giving the team a great work-life balance
- A studio in downtown Vancouver, with an epic balcony overlooking the city, mountains and waterfront
- A structured career progression system, including bi-annual appraisals and ongoing professional training and development