We’re looking for a self-starting, driven manager to oversee day-to-day operations of the Atomhawk studio in Vancouver. This team will be responsible for delivering projects that are creatively outstanding and financially rewarding.
This person must be a skilled people manager, an enthusiastic team player and have an entrepreneurial outlook that will help them play a key role in establishing a new team in the Vancouver market. Creating a strong partnership with the Creative Director (Canada) and UK-based managerial team will be key to the success of this area of the job.
Working alongside the senior management team, they will play an active part in identifying new business opportunities within the North American market then converting them into accounts that we deliver projects for. They will also shape future strategy for the studio as it grows alongside the Senior Management team.
The Production Manager must thrive in a challenging and ever-changing environment where daily deadlines are handled with confidence. The Production Manager must be an excellent and persuasive communicator, capable of dealing with a wide variety of international clients, internal staff and external partners. The ideal candidate will be comfortable with all degrees of ownership, from project qualification and brief-writing through to providing feedback and quality control of work on projects including concept art, marketing art, motion graphics and interactive design.
On a more practical level, the role will involve local resource planning, financial forecasting, operations management and fine-tuning. This aspect of the role would be delivered in close partnership with the Head of Operations (UK).
To give a rough indication of duty balance, this role is one third client management (including client growth planning and business development), one third art team liaison and one third operations management (basic HR, finance and facilities management for the Vancouver studio).
- Delivery of projects to time and budget based on the schedule agreed with the UK production team
- Managing client relationships and communication, including identifying new business opportunities
- Working with the Senior Management Team to shape and deliver strategy for the Vancouver studio
- Liaising with clients to understand their creative needs and identifying where more information is needed at key stages
- Working with the Creative Director (Canada) and Principal Artists to interpret direction given by clients
- Leading client and internal team project briefings when required
- Finding solutions to creative and delivery issues, discussing solutions with clients from a friendly and diplomatic but authoritative standpoint
- Write and deliver quotes and proposals
- Operating the Vancouver studio within budget targets
- Interpreting project management and financial data, forecasting sales and resource needs
- Work with Head of Operations on local HR decisions and policy implementation
- A creative at heart, the candidate must have a proven track record of being an energetic manager and "people person"
- Project management experience
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- A solid understanding of creative processes, with the ability to define and improve systems when required
- Entrepreneurial flair and an enthusiasm for challenges
- Competent with a wide range of systems, including project management tools, MS office suite, and cloud-based tools (e.g. Harvest, Basecamp, Pipedrive)
- Ability to keep a level head and always propose a solution/direction
- Comfortable and confident working as part of a small creative team
- A natural flair for client service
- Happy to represent Atomhawk at industry conferences, client meetings, and in media opportunities
- Must be patient and polite but also able to judge moments where push-back is needed
- Basic financial training and experience with financial planning, P&L, projections
- Knowledge of services based business models and challenges
- Understanding of design/development as a service
- Good knowledge of the entertainment/creative industry
- Production / project management experience (formal training or on-the-job)
- A basic understanding of game art production, including user interface design
In addition to the opportunity to work in a dynamic environment full of exciting new challenges, we believe the Atomhawk culture is our biggest benefit.
We do offer a range of more traditional perks including pension and extended healthcare benefits, but we place a large focus on creating benefits within our working environment.
In addition to regular recognition of all staff with incentives like our ‘Wall of Awesome’, we also place huge priority on learning & development of our team. We have some of the best concept artists in the world and have created a structured peer learning programme which includes group Learning Lunches and 1-2-1 internal training. This is in addition to external training and development which includes attendance at top international industry events.
The role would require the successful candidate to work in our Vancouver studio. Based in British Columbia, Vancouver is consistently voted one of the best cities to live in the world, offering a superb mix of nature and culture. With hundreds of bars, shops and restaurants to choose from, plus some of the world’s greatest natural landscapes on your doorstep, Vancouver is the perfect place to live and work.